Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thread Storage

I am looking for some suggestions.

Current system:



All of my thread is stored on those nifty racks that you get at the craft store. They look pretty but...1. all my thread is getting dusty...and 2 they get in the way... and 3 just when you get one spool fourteen other ones jump off as if they are all volunteering for duty. Nice of them to volunteer but really, I only needed one. Famous piano quilt guy uses jars. They look great but no place to put them. Even Pinterest failed on this one but...

New idea!

Thinking of getting gallon plastic bags? Store threads by color and tuck in with same color fabric drawer. I foresee tangling thread tails in my future but at least they will be clean and they can hang out with the embroidery flosses.



So looking for help here ladies and gents.

4 comments:

  1. Go to Wal-Mart, Target and look in the toy section for the plastic cases you put Matchbox cars in. They run 5-6 dollars and hold lots of thread depending on the size of the spool. I made the mistake of ordering a case online specifically for threads, payed 20 dollars, only to realize it was the EXACT same case for those cars.

    Plastic bags are slippery. I've heard some people use make-up bags as storage as well. Car cases are just cheap and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good idea. Thanks. Isn't it funny how the same item can cost different prices? The same plastic case at the hobby store is way less expensive at the sporting goods store, on in this case, the toy store. It drives my hubby nuts but I always have my eyes out for things at the hardware store that I can use in the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I keep my threads in. I don't know how well it would work for your quilty thread but the universal threads fit perfectly. I keep the matching bobbin in with the thread so I know what goes with what.

    http://www.harborfreight.com/24-divider-storage-container-94458.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some boxes like that from the "estate." My bernina feet work well in there. It is a good idea for thread. Must cut down on the amount of cat fur that gets sewn into things.

    ReplyDelete