Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Pointless Wonder

I have not made many bed quilts but here is first one I made.


I saw the pattern at Quilt Country http://www.quiltcountry.com/ in Lewisville and just had to make it. So I bough some fat quarters in  assorted batiks. The fabric may have come first since I was in an intense stash building stage back then. No idea of a unified color scheme except what said "pretty" to me.  Followed the directions and made lots blocks.

Pretty but how to make it my own and bigger?

Alex Anderson had a guest who showed an attic window setting on a quilt. That's the thing. So off I go to find blue (why blue? cause I like it!) fabrics for the sashing.

I used a fold and sew method to make the windows Now it didn't seem quite big enough so I cut squares out of  the leftovers and added side borders using the same fabric that was in the sashing.

Quilting was not so successful at first . I  had tried four or five times to quilt it but couldn't figure out how to baste it and no clue how to quilt it. It was finally basted with safety pins. I auditioned quilt ideas and even started quilting and then unquilted it.  It was finally done with a big loopy meander in the stars and swirls in the side borders.

Start to finish:Eight years.

That is why I say I am not a bed quilt kinda girl!

Would I use the pattern again: Maybe. Great directions but might want to make smaller blocks.

Keep or give away:Keep!

Happy Sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment