Saturday, March 9, 2013

Modern Quilting

I find myself on the fence about modern quilting. Do I like it? Do I not like it?

I like the bold colors. I am so over Civil War prints and some of the muddy looking colors. Never mind that I just bought some. On the other hand, there is only so much of the sixties I can revisit

Let's here it for piecing that leave room for imperfections. So what if everything doesn't match exactly. On the other hand sometimes they just look sloppy. I am trying to screw up my courage to try improvisational piecing but I suspect I already tried that and didn't know that is what you called it.

I giggle every time I hear "negative space." Really? You just named the background. Yes, sometimes the background is important. We have been using some kind of negative space in quilting for like, forever. Check out the Amish. They were all over background/negative space. Any traditional two color quilt is all about the negative space. <snicker>

What do you think of straight line quilting? Pretty much what I already do. But lines after line after line after line? Maybe not. Thankfully, modern quilting is not all about the feathers. So not digging feathers but still. Sometimes they are okay.

Still not sure about the modern quiting thing but evolution is inevitable. As Dr. Ian Malcolm said in Jurassic Park, "I'm simply saying that life (art), uh, finds a way."

Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment